One of Greenway Chambers’ founding directors, Richard practises principally in the areas of medical negligence and coronial inquests.
Over more than 20 years at the Bar, Richard has built his practice on an unfailing commitment to achieving the best possible outcome for his clients. A down-to-earth manner, exceptional advocacy skills and attention to detail are the hallmarks of his approach. Patient, diplomatic and frank, Richard is an advocate who understands the importance of clear and timely advice. He believes that a collegiate working relationship with solicitors is fundamental to ensuring that clients can make informed decisions during the legal process to achieve the best result.
While medical negligence and clinical matters are his principal area of practice, Richard maintains a practice in other areas.
Outside chambers, Richard is a keen cyclist and footballer for the Hurlstone Park Wanderers. He is a foundation member of Sydney FC and a longstanding supporter of the Sydney Swans.
Focus Areas + Select Cases
Richard has extensive experience in common law medical negligence claims including (but not limited to) emergency, obstetric, cardiothoracic, respiratory, orthopaedic, gastrointestinal, neurosurgical and neurological medical practice and surgery.
Complex matters and major claims form a significant part of Richard’s practice.
Richard appears for both public health authorities and private hospitals as well as individual specialist and general medical practitioners and allied health practitioners whether practising as Visiting Medical Officers, staff specialist, employed medical and allied health practitioners or in private practice.
The particular obligations, pitfalls and forensic idiosyncrasies of Coronial proceedings and the Coroners Act 2009 are of significant interest to Richard and a special area of practice.
Consistent with his practice in medical negligence, Richard appears in the interests of public health authorities, private hospitals, specialist and general medical practitioners and allied health practitioners in public and private practice. He has also appeared for other interested parties such as Justice Health and the Ambulance Service of New South Wales.
Richard has appeared for interested parties in many inquests concerning deaths occurring in circumstances involving consideration of the Mental Health Act 2007 (and its predecessor). Some more recent cases include:
- Inquest into the Death of Grant Cook [30 October 2020]
- Inquest into the Death of AP [1 June 2020]
- Inquest into the Death of Lesley Arndell [19 December 2019]
- Inquest into the Death of Ross Martin [21 November 2019]
- Inquest into the Death of George Kimpton [8 October 2019];
- Inquest into the Death of Pauline Kessell [7 August 2019];
- Inquest into the Death of Nicholas Wells [22 July 2019];
- Inquest into the Death of DB, JD, DC, RG AH and AB [1 March 2019];
- Inquest into the Death of Kevin Meagher [5 July 2018];
- Inquest into the Death of Matthew Wilson Leary [27 April 2018];
- Inquest into the Death of Michaela Perrin [27 February 2018];
- Inquest into the Death of Yongxing Wang [23 February 2018].