Jonathon was called to the bar in May 2014. He has predominantly a commercial litigation and equity practice, for example:
- class actions (ASX non-disclosure, debenture trustee duties, and employee benefits);
- building and construction claims (processing plant for gold mine, claims re defective work, and Home Building Act claims);
- commercial (unconscionable conduct by lenders, misleading conduct in respect of issuance of performance bonds, contract claims regarding adjustment of rent clauses, and shareholder disputes);
- property law (relief of forfeiture, make-good obligations, and extension of caveats);
- insolvency and bankruptcy (unfair preferences and uncommercial transactions, termination of winding up, and reinstatement of deregistered companies).
- meeting deadlines; and
- being upfront with costs and billing.
Jonathon is briefed by firms of all sizes – including by large firms in complex high-value litigation, and also by boutique firms and regional firms, including in more confined disputes.
From 2008 to 2014, Jonathon worked at Allens (appointed Senior Associate in 2011), having the carriage of a number of complex pieces of commercial litigation. In 2007, Jonathon worked as a graduate at Sparke Helmore. In 2006, Jonathon worked as the Tipstaff to the Hon. Justice P.A. Bergin, then the Commercial List Judge in the Equity Division.
Outside of work, Jonathon is married with two kids, two dogs, two cats, and two rats (he’s not the pet lover, he just goes along with it), and is a fan of the NBA.